Asociación 32 Volcanes developed several small environmental programs in 2019 including reforestation, family gardens, recycling, and environmental education. These programs grew and developed in 2020 as the focus and needs shifted due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Plant trees to reforest the mountainside in the 32 Volcanes scholarship communities
- Built and maintained community and family gardens specifically with nutritionally high-risk families and areas
- Collaborate with local partners to offer organic gardening workshops on vermicompost, compost, and oyster mushroom cultivation among others to support families in consuming what they can grow at home and encourage a change to a more nutritious diet with a reduced ecological footprint.
- Collect plastic, glass, aluminum, scrap metal and tin, paper, and cardboard to sell. The intention of the Recycling Program is to reduce the amount of litter and the amount of recyclable materials in landfills as well as encourage good stewardship of the environment.
- Offer environmental education in all its projects. In 2019, 32 Volcanes also offered their first academic session on food sovereignty to medical and nutrition students in their last year of university.